We need to rapidly transition to a zero carbon economy, and draw down billions of tonnes of CO2 from the atmosphere, so it makes no sense for the NSW government to allow any new projects that put us at greater climate risk, particularly in sectors where climate-safe alternatives are readily available.
Survey responses from elected NSW state politicians and election candidates
The survey asks MPs and election candidates to indicate agreement or otherwise with each of the following statements:
1. We are in a climate emergency, with climate impacts already causing heat stroke, starvation, loss of life, and massive ecosystem destruction.
2. The NSW government has a duty of care to make every effort to protect us all from dangerous climate impacts.
3. I support a legislative ban in NSW on all new projects that contribute to global warming, applicable immediately in sectors where climate-safe alternatives are available.
4. In sectors where an immediate ban would not be possible, I support a rapid phase-in, in NSW, of bans on new projects that contribute to global warming.
5. I support a legislative ban on any new coal extraction and infrastructure projects in NSW.
6. I support a legislative ban on any new gas extraction and infrastructure projects in NSW.
7. I support a legislative ban on new wood biomass power generation projects in NSW.
8. I support a legislative ban on any new logging and clearing that degrades native forests in NSW.
9. I support government decisions that give market certainty for the roll-out of climate-safe alternatives in NSW.
Finally it asks which climate-related issue, if any, they will publicly support in their election platform.
Survey responses from MPs and election candidates will be posted here as they come in.