We need to rapidly transition to a zero carbon economy, and draw down billions of tonnes of CO2 from the atmosphere, so it makes no sense for the SA government to allow any new projects that put us at greater climate risk, particularly in sectors where climate-safe alternatives are readily available.
SA state election candidate survey responses
The survey asks election candidates to indicate agreement or otherwise with each of the following statements:
1. We are in a climate emergency, with climate impacts already causing heat stroke, starvation, loss of life, and ecosystem destruction.
2. The SA government has a duty of care to make every effort to protect us all from dangerous climate impacts.
3. I support a legislative ban in SA on all new projects that contribute to global warming, applicable immediately in sectors where climate-safe alternatives are available.
4. In sectors where an immediate ban would not be possible, I support a rapid phase-out in SA of new projects that contribute to global warming.
5. I support a legislative ban on all new oil projects (exploration and drilling) in The Bight.
6. I support a legislative ban on all new conventional and unconventional gas projects in SA.
7. I support a legislative ban on all new unconventional gas and fracking projects in SA.
8. I support government decisions that give market certainty for the roll-out of climate-safe alternatives in SA.
Finally it asks which climate-related issue, if any, they will publicly support in their election platform.