Strategies in Action
Behaviour change and the Climate Emergency
Tackling the climate emergency.
A UK report states that one third of greenhouse gas emissions reductions up to 2035 require behaviour change to meet UK targets.
Sub-national governments and the Climate Emergency
Most of the 2,300+ known Climate Emergency Declarations (CEDs) so far have been at the local government level, but 41 have been by sub-national governments.
Read more… Sub-national governments and the Climate Emergency
Climate Emergency Declarations: Why and why not?
In Australia, 22% of councils have declared a Climate Emergency, the most recent being Onkaparinga City Council on 30 January 2023. What about the other 78%?
Climate Emergency trends in 2022
New Climate Emergency declarations, action reporting, country-specific trends, Klimakrise declarations in Norway, and a huge missed opportunity in the UK
Beyond the Climate Emergency action bubble
Local council strategies for reaching beyond the climate bubble to engage ‘average’ busy householders in Climate Emergency action.
Engaging Australia in Climate Emergency action
Tackling the Climate Emergency requires behaviour change, and switching from fossil gas to all-electric homes is an effective and accessible place to start.
Funding council Climate Emergency action plans
Funding is a key challenge for local governments who have adopted ambitious Climate Emergency Action Plans. Strategies include some empowering funding models.
Community impact of Climate Emergency Declarations
What is the effect within the local general community when their local council declares a Climate Emergency?
How many actually hear about the declaration?
Read more… Community impact of Climate Emergency Declarations
From Climate Emergency to Climate Catastrophe and CED action
‘Climate catastrophe’ is nudging out ‘climate emergency’ in recent media. But also, numerous climate emergency declaration (CED) councils are taking action.
Read more… From Climate Emergency to Climate Catastrophe and CED action
Quebec: Climate Emergency Declaration and fossil fuel ban
Quebec declared a Climate Emergency in 2019, and in April 2022 Quebec banned all new coal, oil, and gas projects. How did this important precedent come about?
Read more… Quebec: Climate Emergency Declaration and fossil fuel ban
Climate Emergency actions and target dates
Debunking the myth that Climate Emergency Declarations (CEDs) are ‘just symbolic’, and an overview of council carbon neutral target dates in Australia.
Climate Emergency: declarations and/or actions?
Last week saw two new Climate Emergency Declarations in Australia, taking the total to 114, and a new stand-alone climate action plan with no declaration.
From recognition to declaration: Knox City Council
Knox City Council has now ‘declared’ a Climate Emergency, instead of just ‘recognising’ it. Why the debate over declare / recognise / acknowledge or similar?
Read more… From recognition to declaration: Knox City Council
Are Climate Emergency Declarations still happening?
Media coverage might be lower these days, but 2,248 jurisdictions have now passed a Climate Emergency Declaration (CED) and the number is steadily rising.
Read more… Are Climate Emergency Declarations still happening?
UK council Climate Emergency banners
A Climate Emergency Declaration is a public signal so it needs to be very visible, like in these examples of eye-catching UK Climate Emergency banners.